- 40hrs/week, 1-year term with possibility of renewal
- Annual starting salary: 45- 55,000$, commensurate with experience
- Benefits package
- Occasional weekends and evenings, as required
- Willingness to travel within the Ottawa River watershed
- Start date May 29, 2017
Are you a firm believer in the power of the grassroots? Are you energized by the thought of engaging a network of committed volunteers to work towards a swimmable, drinkable and fishable river? Ottawa Riverkeeper is seeking a bilingual and outgoing Riverwatch Coordinator to join our team. Reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating with all members of the dynamic Ottawa Riverkeeper team, this employee will be responsible for mobilizing and expanding our grassroots network of Riverwatchers – local leaders who are actively involved in stewarding specific river sections in the Ottawa River Watershed. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific background and knowledge of freshwater issues as they relate to the Ottawa River Watershed. Our new Riverwatch Coordinator will be in their element both at a podium giving a talk and in a pair of rubber boots down by the shore.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE RIVERWATCH COORDINATOR
- Build and maintain relationships with key community stakeholders and partners;
- Provide science-based information and mentorship to Riverwatchers and their communities;
- Develop citizen science protocols, train volunteers to apply them, and draft scientific abstracts and reports to describe outcomes;
- Travel to communities in the watershed to promote the program and to support Riverwatchers in their local outreach;
- Help to promote the program and its impact to the general public, decision-makers, and community groups – including through public presentations and media appearances;
- Serve as one of the primary scientists on the Ottawa Riverkeeper team, helping to respond to public inquiries and providing timely scientific background on current issues;
- Some grant writing and maintaining relationships with grant-making agencies (a responsibility shared by many employees at Ottawa Riverkeeper);
- Other tasks as required by the Executive Director
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Very strong communication skills (oral and written) in both French and English. (e.g. ability to present to an audience, to describe a sampling protocol, or to compose professional quality emails in either language);
- Scientific background and knowledge of freshwater issues as they relate to the Ottawa River Watershed;
- University diploma in a related field (e.g. biology, environmental science). Candidates with graduate degrees will have an advantage;
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize tasks and work accurately under numerous critical deadlines;
- Excels under ambitious objectives, keen to improve through adaptive learning;
- Driver’s license necessary, boater’s licence and experience would be an advantage
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 200 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay. We work throughout the Ottawa River watershed, both in Ontario and Québec. Ottawa Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send your C.V. and Cover Letter in alternate languages (one French, the other English) to the attention of Mr. Patrick Nadeau, via email@example.com. Deadline: 5pm on Wednesday, May 5, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please do not phone.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the Ontario Trillium Foundation for providing funding for this position.