Community Outreach and Engagement Intern (Summer Position)
- 37.5 hrs/week, 4 months
- Salary: $18/hr
- Schedule: Flexible. Up to 50% of weekends and up to 5 evenings.
- Mix of time spent in the office (30-40%) and in the community (60-70%), including outdoors.
- Willingness to travel within the Ottawa River Watershed
- Start date: May 4 2020
- Deadline to apply: March 2, 2020
- Must be eligible for Canada Summer Jobs, Eco Canada, or BioTalent Student Work Placement Program funding.
Are you passionate about water and looking to make a meaningful impact in your community? Are you outgoing and have strong bilingual communication skills? At Ottawa Riverkeeper, we believe in engaging community members throughout the Ottawa River Watershed to learn more about our river, to build their commitment to a healthy river, and ultimately to take an active stewardship role.
Ottawa Riverkeeper is seeking to hire two self-starting and outgoing Community Outreach and Engagement Interns to join our dynamic team this summer.
Thanks to your friendly and engaging disposition, you will welcome the opportunity to strike up conversations with the public to tell them about the river, learn about their concerns, and sign them up to our newsletter. You will connect with the people, groups, and communities of the Ottawa River watershed on beaches, at events, festivals, booths, and presentations!
You will report to our Communications and Community Outreach Coordinator and will have the opportunity to develop your planning, communication and presentation skills, and work with an enthusiastic and committed team, all while engaging our community on the vitally important issue of clean water.
- Represent Ottawa Riverkeeper at various community outreach activities such as shoreline clean-ups, boothing at events, and canvassing on beaches.
- Interact with the public at various outreach events to raise awareness of issues affecting the Ottawa River watershed;
- Train and supervise outreach volunteers who will assist you in your role;
- Identify community opportunities to raise awareness on the importance of protecting the Ottawa River watershed;
- Organize, promote and lead educational workshops; give presentations to local groups;
- Coordinate outreach materials from our Learning Library, an important collection of educational resources that can be borrowed by schools and community groups.
- Post-secondary student in a relevant field;
- Energized by people: you are confident, outgoing, and comfortable taking the first steps to approach the general public at outreach activities;
- Ability to hold a lively conversation and write in French or English (an asset if both);
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, timelines and deadlines in a fast-paced and responsive environment;
- Valid driver’s licence strongly preferred and access to a car would be an asset;
- Understanding of environmental / freshwater issues and science would be a strong asset;
- Flexible with evening and weekend availability (up to 50% of weekends and up to 5 evenings);
- Able to work both independently and within a team.
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 300 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay. We work throughout the Ottawa River watershed, both in Ontario and Québec. Ottawa Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send your C.V. and Cover Letter to the attention of Alejandro Prescott-Cornejo at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2020.
We are currently posting two summer positions. Applicants should look at both, and if interested in more than one, list them in order of preference in their cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.