When more than 350 unabashed river lovers arrived on Albert Island for our 2015 Riverkeeper Gala something magical happened. A heretofore inaccessible industrial site in the middle of the river became the coolest place in town – uniting English, Québécois and First Nations guests around a shared passion for freshwater protection.
- Led by interior architect and designer Tania Kratt, the décor volunteers transformed a vacant E.B. Eddy Stores Building into a stunningly chic speakeasy, which showcased original art by Christopher Griffin.
- Petr Cancura and the Downhome Band and Andy Maize and Josh Finlayson of Skydiggers – with a little help from Riverkeeper director Kathleen Edwards and federal MP Andrew Cash – delivered engaging performances.
- Funky food truck vendors dished up gourmet fare, while guests mingled and enjoyed both a gentle breeze and scenic views of the magnificent Ottawa River.
- RBC Past President and CEO and 2015 Water Leader award winner Gord Nixon, champion of the RBC Blue Water Project, shared his personal connection to water; as did Riverkeeper Chair Geoff Green.
“This was the biggest night of the year for water in Ottawa. Leaders from different backgrounds support the Riverkeeper cause, because they know that water is an essential part of Canadian life,” said Ottawa Riverkeeper and Executive Director Meredith Brown. “We’re deeply grateful to our supporters and sponsors for helping raise more than $170,000 to help us keep the Ottawa River swimmable, drinkable and fishable.”
[slickr-flickr items=”12″ type=”galleria” autoplay captions=”off” descriptions=”on” flickr_link=”on” flickr_link_title=”on” delay=”3″ flicker-link=”on” search=”sets” set=”72157653498259858″ items=”44″ flickr_link_target=”_blank”] See more photos from the event in our Flickr Album.
- Presenting sponsor: EY
- Award sponsor: RBC
- Music sponsor: TELUS
- Platinum sponsor: Canada Goose
- Gold sponsors: Accenture and Telesat
- Silver sponsors: Cement Association of Canada, Golder Associates, Google, Lafarge, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Taggart-Parkes Foundation, Unifor and Windmill Developments.
- Bronze sponsors: Bluesky Strategy Group, Brookfield Renewable Energy Group, CIBC, Dentons, Ed Brunet and Associates, Ginsberg, Gluzman Fage & Levitz,Hendrick Farm, Hydro Ottawa, Investeco Capital, Ottawa City Rafting, Soloway Wright, Students on Ice Foundation, Stantec and Summa Strategies.
- In-kind sponsors: Beau’s All Natural Brewing, Bullfrog Power, Chic Event Planners, Couvrette Photography, FirschkornMediaCo, Greenlife Landscaping, Harvey & Vern’s Soda, Huff Estate Winery, ipolitics, Martin Lipman, Log’s End, Mediastyle, Ottawa Magazine, Ottawa Outdoor Magazine, Rosehall Run Wines, Star Motors of Ottawa,Stratus Wines, Tania Kratt Interior Design, Terra20, Trailhead Paddleshack and WestJet.
Ottawa Riverkeeper works year-round to keep the Ottawa River swimmable, drinkable and fishable. Please help us protect the river.
< Previous post Next post >