Osprey

Osprey
(also known as the fish eagle, sea hawk, river hawk, or fish hawk)

Pandion haliaetus


Size: The osprey has a wingspan of 180 cm and a length of 60 cm.


Habitat: The osprey is found in every continent except Antarctica. They breed near freshwater lakes and rivers.


Diet: 99% of the osprey’s diet is fish the other 1% could be rodents or small reptiles.


Native: Native to North America.


Status: This species used to be endangered until it recovered in Wisconsin, 2012.


Fun Fact: Osprey’s build a giant nest out of sticks on top of a tree which each generation returns to. Some nest are as old as 75 years old!