Standard Messaging & Communications
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
Ottawa Riverkeeper is a citizen-based action group that brings people together to protect and promote the ecological health and diversity of the Ottawa River and its tributaries. Expert and independent, our organization advocates for responsible decision-making, public education, participation, access to information, and compliance with protective regulations, for the benefit of our river and our communities.
Ottawa Riverkeeper is licensed member of Waterkeeper Alliance, an international grass roots advocacy organization, founded by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
We take action to defend the Ottawa River, and to influence decisions that affect the health and future of the river. We work collaboratively, to enforce protective regulations and seek effective solutions. By providing clear science-based information, we aim to engage the public and empower citizens to become advocates for the protection of our river and our communities.
The Ottawa River is clean and healthy. Its water is safe for drinking and swimming. It supports a diverse range of species, invites recreation and enables sustainable economic activity. Knowledge, shared pride and respect for the river are the foundations for its protection in perpetuity.
MOTTO / TAGLINE
Defending the Ottawa River, Protecting Our Communities.
KEY MESSAGES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Science leads our thinking. The decisions we make regarding the river stem from good science produced by expert, independent sources.
- Responsibility must be taken. Polluting should have a price, just as stewardship should be rewarded.
- Participation is essential. All citizens should have the opportunity to contribute to decisions that affect the health and future of their river.
- Every effort counts. By taking small steps to save our river—both individually and collectively—we can achieve important positive change.
- Water is the thread connecting our communities and our actions. The choices we make and steps we take have consequences for our river, our region and our health.
- Rivers reflect the places through which they flow. Healthy rivers reveal well-informed, active and responsible communities.