Youth and Events Intern
Are you passionate about protecting the Ottawa River and experienced in event coordination? At Ottawa Riverkeeper, we are looking for a talented and organized individual to help plan our 2019 events. Our events are a key part of our operation, serving to raise essential funds for the river, and bringing together the community in enjoyment and stewardship of the river.
As Youth and Events Intern, you will work closely with the Events and Volunteer Coordinator to help organize and implement a range of Ottawa Riverkeeper events. You will have the opportunity to assist with a variety of events, including the Riverkeeper Gala, our annual Riverkeeper 4K interprovincial open water swim, our Beachkeeper Program, Youth Leadership Training, and outreach events through the summer months. In this position, you will develop your planning and organizational skills, and work with an enthusiastic and committed team, all while doing your part to keep the Ottawa River swimmable, fishable, and drinkable.
37.5 hrs/week, 4 months
Mix of time spent in the office and out in the community
Occasional evenings and weekends as well as work outdoors, as required
Willingness to travel within the Ottawa River Watershed
Start date: May 2019
Deadline to apply: Sunday March 10, 2019
Must be eligible for Canadian Summer Jobs funding and/or Young Canada Works
A student is eligible for Young Canada Works if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- have been a full-time student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW assignment; and
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW assignment.
A student is eligible for Canada Summer Jobs if they:
- are between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Take an active role in all aspects of coordinating and implementing events, especially those that are youth-focused;
- Interact with the public and provide opportunities for youth to learn about the river;
- Communicate with and help coordinate suppliers, stakeholders, attendees, volunteers;
- Work with site maps, invoices, signage and other event and outreach materials;
- Perform other general duties as required.
- Highly organized, able to meet deadlines, detail-oriented;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; self-starting and outgoing;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Excel; experience with G Suite and donor databases (like Salesforce) an asset;
- Strong communication skills in both French and English are strongly preferred;
- Valid driver’s license strongly preferred and access to a car would be an asset;
- Able to work both independently and within a team;
- Flexibility to work some weeknights and weekends.
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 300 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay. We work throughout the Ottawa River watershed, both in Ontario and Québec. Ottawa Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send your C.V. and Cover Letter to the attention of Larissa Holman, via email@example.com.
We are currently posting three summer positions. Applicants should look at all three, and if interested in more than one, list them in order of preference in your cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.