Graphic Designer and Digital Storyteller
- 37.5hrs/week, 9 month term
- Salary: 40,000$ / year (pro-rated)
- Benefits package after three months
- Start date: September 2019
- Strong preference will be given to candidates eligible for Career Launcher Digital Tech internship (See requirements here. Please address eligibility in your cover letter).
Are you a creative type looking to make a difference? What if your next design helped to convince a business or a Mayor to protect their local waterbody?
Ottawa Riverkeeper is excited to launch the search for a Graphic Designer and Digital Storyteller to join our dynamic team. Our creative, self-starting, tech-savvy colleague will have a very important mandate: to help the public understand the health of the Ottawa River watershed. As part of an innovative multi-year project, Ottawa Riverkeeper is amassing a wealth of information. How are fish populations faring in the river? Where are phosphate levels problematic? How are toxic algal blooms progressing with climate change? This invaluable information is only as useful as our ability to communicate it simply and effectively to the public, media, and decision-makers. Using his/her design skills, the Graphic Designer and Digital Storyteller will transform these data and complex concepts into appealing imagery, infographics, charts, graphs and more that tell a compelling story and inspire action for the benefit of our rivers.
They will also assist with other Ottawa Riverkeeper projects such as designing the Annual Report and developing promotional and outreach materials.
- Ability to deliver high-quality products using graphic design software and applications, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Interest in, and ability to understand basic scientific concepts (e.g. graphs, tables) in order to effectively convert information to user-friendly imagery. Experience and understanding of Excel would be a strong asset.
- Ability to adapt visuals to different mediums, (e.g. social media, printed materials, web, interactive displays).
- Experience developing map-based products would be a strong asset, as would experience with ArcGIS, QGIS, and/or ArcGIS online.
- Experience in logo design would be an asset.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines.
- Creativity, imagination and the ability to take initiative and bring fresh ideas to the Riverkeeper team.
- Strong communication skills. Bilingualism would be an asset.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter (max 300 words), along with a link to samples of your work, to the attention of MJ Proulx at email@example.com. To make sure your application is received, please use DESIGN2019 as the subject line of your email.
Deadline: August: 12
Please note that applications will be assessed on a rolling basis – candidates are encouraged to apply early.
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
As a dynamic, growing, and well-respected environmental organization, Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 300 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay.