Events Intern (Summer Position)
- 37.5 hrs/week, 4 months
- Salary: $18/hr
- Mix of time spent in the office and out in the community
- Up to 4 weekends, up to 5 evenings, and work outdoors, as required.
- Start date: May 4, 2020
- Deadline to apply: March 2, 2020
- Must be eligible for Canada Summer Jobs, Eco Canada, or BioTalent Student Work Placement Program funding.
Are you passionate about protecting the Ottawa River and experienced in event coordination? At Ottawa Riverkeeper, we are looking for a talented and organized individual to help plan our 2020 events. Our events are a key part of our operation, serving to raise essential funds for the river, and bringing together the community in enjoyment and stewardship of the river.
As Events Intern, you will work closely with the Events and Volunteer Coordinator to help organize and implement a range of Ottawa Riverkeeper events, including the Riverkeeper Gala, our annual Riverkeeper 4K interprovincial open water swim, and outreach events throughout the summer months. In this position, you will develop your planning and organizational skills, and work with an enthusiastic and committed team, all while doing your part to keep the Ottawa River swimmable, drinkable, and fishable.
- Take an active role in all aspects of coordinating and implementing large events, specifically the Riverkeeper 4K Swim and Riverkeeper Gala;
- Communicate with and help coordinate suppliers, stakeholders, attendees, event volunteers;
- Willing to fearlessly pick up the phone to expedite discussions when necessary;
- Work with site maps, invoices, signage and other event and outreach materials;
- Perform other general duties as required.
- Post-secondary student in a relevant field;
- Highly organized, able to meet deadlines, detail-oriented;
- Able to manage time and projects independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; self-starting and good at problem solving;
- Proficient in use of G Suite (specifically Sheets);
- Experience in sports event management software such as Race Roster and donor databases (like Salesforce) an asset;
- Strong communication skills, bilingual would be an asset;
- Valid driver’s license strongly preferred and access to a car would be an asset;
- Able to work both independently and within a team;
- Mix of time spent in the office and out in the community;
Up to 4 weekends, up to 5 evenings, and work outdoors, as required.
- Availability on the weekend of August 8th.
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 300 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay. We work throughout the Ottawa River watershed, both in Ontario and Québec. Ottawa Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send your C.V. and Cover Letter to the attention of Alejandro Prescott-Cornejo at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2020.
We are currently posting two summer positions. Applicants should look at both, and if interested in more than one, list them in order of preference in their cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.