The Swim Guide is both a website and a free app for iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® and Android. Swim Guide makes it easy to find and learn about your local beaches. The app uses real time E. coli data to flag beaches that are safe or unsafe for swimming, or have no data. While Swim Guide does not consider toxic pollution or other potential environmental concerns, it is a useful tool for people who want to avoid bacterial contamination.
The Swim Guide gives you:
– Tools to locate the nearest spot to cool off on a hot day
– Unique site descriptions and photographs
– Information about the condition and E.coli levels of local beaches
– Integration with Google maps for detailed walking, driving, or biking directions
– Simple tools for reporting pollution problems and environmental concerns
Download PDF instructions here.
About Swim Guide
Swim Guide was developed by Lake Ontario Waterkeeper in Toronto, and has since spread to include beaches in the United States. In the Spring of 2011, Ottawa Riverkeeper launched Swim Guide for the Ottawa River, and the app now includes freshwater beaches throughout the Ottawa River watershed in Ontario and Quebec. Swim Guide is also available in French (Guide des plages).
Download Swim Guide for free!
Photos courtesy of Waterkeeper Swim Guide.